Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2015

My 2nd tournament

I was traveling in Asia for work and so I decided to enter a tournament. I was in the senior division, ages 39+. I was told however, that there were few people there so I was going to enter the masters division ages 29-38. I didn't want to go against a strong 29 year old, so I entered at the 207 pound division.

There was nobody in my weight class. There was also nobody in two weight classes below. There were three competitors in the 167 pound weight class, and 4 or so in the 159 pound class. The winner of each division goes to the absolute, so I was declared the winner of the 207 bracket (the highlander division where I'm the only one) and was automatically entered into the slot. One of the winners had to leave, so that left just me and the winner of the 167 pound weight class.

He was a year younger than me, wore glasses and looked very fit. I found out that he's a judo instructor but he's only done BJJ for 3 months. He tore it up in his division, he took everyone down easily and submitted a few guys. In our match, I knew I had 40 pounds on him and several inches but he was really skilled at judo.

When the match started I wanted to grab him and pull guard. He's a lot lighter so I knew if I just got a grip I'd bring him down with me. The problem was that he was as fast as a rabbit. He's a 2nd degree judo black belt so he was moving really fast, and just pushing my grips away. I couldn't hold on to anything. He was all defense for close to 3 minutes and finally when he saw an opening he grabbed my sleeve and did some variation of Osoto Gari. He didn't throw me too hard b/c I was much stronger and kind of pulled him down when I gripped him, but he spinned with my gi and tried to get knee on belly then side control. He didn't get the knee, but he was in half side control but I was able to grab his pant leg so all he got was 2 points for the takedown.

I hip escaped for a good 30 seconds as he kind of tried to get side control, but one of my hands had his pants. Finally I was able to get one of my hands on his knees, and eventually was able to grab the knees with two hands in a single leg. I half turtled and then I turned on my stomach and was able to sweep him doing a single leg. I got on top of him with my chest coming down on his knees and his leg hit the mat hard and he made a loud noise. The ref came over and stopped the fight and said it was a verbal tap. I got the sweep, but they said it was a sub since he made noise. He didn't know the rules and got mad and said it wasn't a sub.

Anyways, I got the win. I would have won with the sweep, 3-2, and with my weight it would have been hard for him to escape. So I got the gold with just one match against a guy who I had 40 pounds on. So it wasn't really much of a victory, but I guess it felt good to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment