Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

3 stripes

I've had to travel so much that my schedule got kind of mixed up. I should have gotten the 3 stripes a while ago, but anyways the instructor gave it to me today. Frankly there isn't much difference between what I was before, since I stayed at two stripes a long time since I was training at two different gyms. At my gym, attendance is pretty important. I've been working on a number of things. Mainly, I try to focus more on sparring. Mostly I have to work on defense since I spar upper belts, so I'm more careful in what I do. Today a purple belt that I normally spar told me he could tell I got a lot better, since he didn't submit me today. I have a few priorities: 
1. Focus on just two submissions and variants from back, mount, half mount, side mount, and guard. (Haven't worked on turtle.) 
- Back: rear naked choke + bow and arrow choke with leg over
- Mount: americana/americana variant + choke/arm bar alternate
- Half mount: americana/americana variant + kimura omoplata 
- Side mount: shoulder over head submission + mount
- Guard: kimura + collar choke + scissor sweep

2. Defense
- Back: scoop + leg over/single leg trap
- Mount: straight leg/elbow in + trap and roll
- Half mount: leg over to guard
- Side mount: leg in arm/spider guard + hand on hip/throat push away + elbow shoulder hold
- In guard: leg up push knee down w/back + leg up/pull go/knee over thigh to half guard

If I can simply get a good handle on the above, that's quite a bit. I can do all of the above, but not all of them very well. I've purposely omitted turtle, knee on belly, and north south defense and sweeps. I have some general ideas, but I'm so rarely in those positions I want to focus on this for now. I am slowly working on those positions, since a blue belt would know two submissions/defenses for all those positions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment