Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Workout #33: First submission

Now that I'm sparring regularly, I feel like I can only do a few things as a white belt. There's only one guy bigger and stronger than me in that gym. He's a purple belt and can throw me around like a rag doll, b/c my strength is no use at all. However, all the others though I have almost no technique my strength does give me some advantage - though not by much. They could still fling me around, esp purple belts and higher. 

My 2nd sparring match, I went against a purple belt who admitted he had not been at the gym in months and was out of shape. He was a few inches shorter and about 30 pounds lighter. He was able to pass me easily, and got me in arm bars and a number of leg locks/chokes and I had to tap out. One time however, he tried an arm bar but didn't secure his left leg enough which gave me just enough space to turn in towards him. He tried to flip me, but I got his arm and ended up getting side control. I immediately went for his head, and had my arm around his neck with my legs sprawled back. (An old wrestling move.) I had him in this head lock of sorts, and pulled his arm up and put all my weight on his neck and he had to tap b/c he couldn't breathe. Now, I'm not sure that's a legal move. If so, it's a decent go to move for a former wrestler so long as we get side control. 

Anyways, I got my first submission. Probably won't happen again for a while. I also want to roll lighter, so I can work on technique instead of strength and power which I can't help but use at that time. Actually, I got a number of submissions working with this 4 stripe white belt but we were mostly just going light and talking about technique, I was able to get him in a number of arm locks. Maybe that's something I should be working on as well. My 41 year old body is quite sore today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment