Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Workout #25

I realize that one has to play to body type. Although most people prefer the full mount, it's not a good position for me. I'm very top heavy, long torso, and short legs. I tend to get rolled or put off easily. Of course it could be because I'm a white belt, still using strength vs. technique. Perhaps in time things will change.

I have a long business trip coming up in a few months, so I'll have to train at another gym while I'm out of town. I don't like it that it disturbs my rhythm but I'll have to go with the flow.

BJJ is exceeding frustrating for the beginner. I can't tell that I'm getting better. In most anything else, after 3 months one can feel the improvement but I can hardly tell that I'm better now. I just know now that I can't really submit anyone and can be submitted very easily. Frustration. Ugh. Even in positional sparring, I end up using so much strength. If my partner is a white belt or lower blue belt, generally I can overcome with my strength but once he's a higher belt even if he's 50 lbs lighter than my 205 lbs, I can't do anything. Technique is really important and I feel like I have none of it.

Today was a really frustrating day. I had two almost guard passes, and both times the much smaller 3 stripe blue belt recovered in time. When I'm top I can kind of hold him in place, mostly b/c I'm so much stronger and bigger, but once I'm in mount or in his guard, I can't do much. it's only in the side mount that I can do anything.

There's so much to learn, and at the age of 41 I said I was going to treat this just like exercise. Even then, it's frustrating exercise. People are asking me to enter tournaments, and I said I have no interest in them now. At least not as a white belt, maybe later. Others enter tournaments their first month and live for them. Again, it's just exercise for me and I enjoy the mental aspects but today it was just sheer frustration mentally. I totally suck. (Still good exercise so I guess I met my goal but in a frustrating way.) Any other white belts feel this way? Especially if you're an older beginner? 

2 comments:

  1. Consider what you just wrote:

    "Today was a really frustrating day. I had two almost guard passes, and both times the much smaller 3 stripe blue belt recovered in time. When I'm top I can kind of hold him in place, mostly b/c I'm so much stronger and bigger, but once I'm in mount or in his guard, I can't do much. it's only in the side mount that I can do anything."

    Now, think about this from his point of view:

    "Oh man, it sucks rolling with this white belt - I can't do anything when he gets on top and just crushes me using power and strength. I'm there to use jiu jitsu, not just be squashed."

    Let me see if I understand you: you're saying is that your jiu jitsu is not as good as someone who has been doing jiu jitsu quite a bit longer than you, and it frustrates you that you're not as good as him? The answer: of course not. Similarly, if you were learning chess, would you expect in your first few months to beat someone who had been playing for 3 years? Probably not. This is a physical skill, and when you start comparing yourself to someone who is more experienced than you, it only can lead to frustration. Rather than get frustrated, why not honor it - "Whoa - I can't wait until that's where I am" - look at it as a preview rather than a measurement of your suckiness.

    Some day... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on. What I should have said was "it is frustrating to suck." Hehe. Thanks for the thoughtful comment

    ReplyDelete