Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Workout #7

One thing I like about the Gracie Barra Fundamentals program is that you can review the class immediately afterwards by looking at the app. Of course it's not like being in the class, but it is helpful.

There is this large purple belt, who has been really helpful to me. I'm 6ft 210lbs, fairly strong in fairly good shape for a 41 year old, he's 5'10, 265 lbs and looks not to be in good shape, but he's incredibly flexible. Since I'm only allowed to spar positionally (top mount, try to hold while the other guy tries to pass guard, etc.), today we went at it again. Since he and I are the largest guys in the class we're always paired up, and since he's a purple belt he's always teaching me new things. I have so much appreciation and respect for this 30 year old guy. He often asks me about wrestling or boxing, since he knows I have experience in those sports.

Today, he grabbed my collar and I knew I was stronger so I tried breaking his grip, which I did but then, he just grabbed it again. Then I used two hands and tried to stick my leg over for an arm bar of sorts, and he just turned and kind of sat on me. His whole weight was on my stomach/back area and I couldn't move. He was laughing and said big guys have different techniques so we need to watch out for it. He does a kimura quite well, he can sit up really quick and is very flexible for a big guy.

Anyways, I still don't have my first strip but I only want to get to 3 stripes on my belt so I can finally spar and attend the advanced class. A few days ago a 4 stripe white belt got his blue belt. He told me it took him about 1.5 years and he comes about 2-3x/week. That sounds normal. I know another person, another 40 year old, who went 6 days/week for 4 months and got a blue belt but she also won a tournament. So I guess it's different for different people/how dedicated they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment